129th Maine Legislative Biennium (2019-2020):
We are working with our Maine legislators to create legislation that will advance our goals:
- Ensure access to quality, efficient and effective mental health and substance use services.
- Achieve positive system change in the public perception of mental health and substance use disorder.
- Support the delivery of services with a highly competent workforce.
POLICY AGENDA FOR 129TH LEGISLATURE
- Invest in Behavioral Health Workforce
- Streamline certification and licensure for behavioral health clinicians and create a targeted tax credit or loan program for underserved areas
- Review the DHHS background check mandate to make improvements, add flexibility and choice, and reduce discrimination
- Enhance Access to MaineCare Behavioral Health Services
- Establish regular Medicaid Rate Review process with oversight advisory committee
- Increases in reimbursement rates for critical MaineCare behavioral health services to enhance adequacy of the provider network and increase access to MaineCare services
- Invest in Mental Health Services
- Resolve to review the changes made to the crisis system in Maine to discern need for investment or improvement
- Enhance access to Section 17 Community Integration services based on functional need
- Invest in home and community treatment for children with behavioral health needs
- Expand MaineCare eligibility for Non-Emergency Transportation (NET) to parents/guardians to participate in appointments with their child receiving MaineCare mental health residential services
- Invest in Substance Use Treatment (SUD) Services
- Recovery Residence voluntary certification standards and housing assistance fund
- Create homeless medication assisted treatment program
- Expand access to Medication Assisted Treatment